More Fun with SBS 2008 and Sharepoint Updates


Post to Twitter Post to Facebook Post to StumbleUpon

Anyone who has been dealing with SBS 2008 for the last couple of months knows that there have been issues with recent Sharepoint and SBS 2008 updates:

Companyweb Inaccessible After Sharepoint 3.0 Service Pack 2

Files in Companyweb are Opening Read-Only After SBS 2008 UR2

Sharepoint Service 3 Search event errors after an SBS 2008 Update Rollup

Event 2436 for Sharepoint Services 3 Search

Bottom line, it’s not been an easy road. Fortunately, the SBS team have done a good job of documenting the issues as they come up. Unfortunately, not everything has been caught yet. As I found out this week.

I’ve had two new SBS 2008 deployments in the last two months. One a migration (won’t go there), and the other a clean install. Ironically, the clean install is the one that’s caused me the most grief. The initial install went smoothly, and we’ve been keeping up to date with all the updates. Based on the information above, we knew to install the Sharepoint 3 SP2 before installing SBS 2008 UR2, and flipped the database off of Read Only.

Yesterday, I went to create a new security group. I launched the Add Group Wizard from the SBS 2008 console and was immediately greeted with:

“Windows SBS 2008 Add Group Wizard has stopped working”

The first wizard screen never even launched. Of course, I started digging through the addgroup.log file in C:Program FilesWindows Small Business ServerLogs, and found the following after hunting for several minutes:

An exception of type 'Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' has occurred.

Message: Access to table dbo.Versions is blocked because the signature is not valid.

In the stack dump that followed, many of the references were to Sharepoint. “Ah ha!” I thought. “The Add Group Wizard also does some things in Sharepoint!” and I went off to look at Sharepoint. Sure enough, companyweb wouldn’t come up. So, I went back to¬
Companyweb Inaccessible After Sharepoint 3.0 Service Pack 2 and went through those steps again. I verified that the database was not read-only, then I went through and followed the steps to re-run the setup wizard from the command line. Uh, oh, got errors. Fortunately, the psconfig command had me look at the PSCDiagnostics log in C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions12LOGS. Unfortunately, those logs didn’t really tell me anything useful. What I found was this:

08/17/2009 17:12:59  1  ERR        One or more configuration tasks has failed to execute

08/17/2009 17:12:59  1  INF        Entering function TaskDriver.Stop

08/17/2009 17:12:59  1  INF          Entering function StringResourceManager.GetResourceString

08/17/2009 17:12:59  1  INF            Resource id to be retrieved is PostSetupConfigurationFailedEventLog for language English (United States)

08/17/2009 17:12:59  1  INF            Resource retrieved id PostSetupConfigurationFailedEventLog is Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed.  Configuration must be performed in order for this product to operate properly.  To diagnose the problem, review the extended error information located at {0}, fix the problem, and run this configuration wizard again.

08/17/2009 17:12:59  1  INF          Leaving function StringResourceManager.GetResourceString

08/17/2009 17:12:59  1  ERR          Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed.  Configuration must be performed in order for this product to operate properly.  To diagnose the problem, review the extended error information located at C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions12LOGSPSCDiagnostics_8_17_2009_17_7_9_507_298886299.log, fix the problem, and run this configuration wizard again.

I actually found a reference to the solution in the comments in the¬
Companyweb Inaccessible After Sharepoint 3.0 Service Pack 2 post. Not directly, but one of the comments mentions that an account name was changed after the initial setup. I haven’t renamed any accounts, but I was reminded that I was running the psconfig command under a different account than had been used to initially install the Sharepoint SP2 update. I logged out of that account and logged back in with the account that was used to install the update, and the psconfig command completed successfully.

Woo hoo! Got it working! Only, http://companyweb and the Sharepoint Central Administration 3.0 sites still would not come up. I once again connected to the database via SQL Management Studio (reminder: run that with elevated permissions or you’ll never authenticate successfully) and verified that it was not read only. And the services were running. I checked the web site configuration in IIS and found the issue – all of the web sites had stopped. That’s when I remembered getting all the alerts overnight about the World Wide Web Publishing Service and the TS Gateway service being stopped. I had started them again first thing this morning and promptly forgot about them. Sure enough, when I checked again, they were both stopped (not surprised that the TS Gateway service stopped since it’s dependent upon the WWW Publishing service). I started both services and both companyweb and Sharepoint Central Administration were back online.

And I was able to finally add the one security group I needed to get added.

Takeaways from this process that aren’t documented in the SBS blog posts:

  1. If the Sharepoint SP2 update doesn’t take the first time and you need to run the psconfig command manually to complete the install, make sure you are running the command from the same user account that was used to attempt to install SP2 in the first place.
  2. Note that the psconfig command stops the World Wide Web Publishing Service (and TS Gateway) and does NOT restart them automatically.